The Best Quotes From Rand Paul's Epic Filibuster Yesterday
Rand Paul took a critical step in raising awareness of our critical civil liberties in an valiant effort to protect the sanctity of our Constitution and individual freedom from big government.
Paul secured the Senate floor for something close to 13 hours criticizing President Obama's nomination of John Brennan as the chief of the Central Intelligence Agency. But, as Paul so acutely stated, "It's not really about John Brennan, it's about a Constitutional principle."
The speech was meant to shed a bright light on America's current policy on drone strikes on domestic soil.
Hypothetically, any “suspicious” American could be targeted while simply sitting in a cafe sipping on coffee while posing no imminent threat to anyone. Death by drones means that the individual would never be subjected to due-process, never have the opportunity to stand up for himself/herself to prove innocence, nor would we be able to question them for further insider information if, in fact, said target was guilty.
Rand Paul – and millions of Americans – are vehemently against such barbaric death strikes taking place domestically, but until yesterday, the issue hasn't been forcefully challenged.
This is the most we've heard from a politician pro-actively fighting to limit executive powers out of respect for the Constitution and preserving the rights of innocent American people. He took a historic, unapologetic stance on an issue that should be at the forefront of the heart of every political issue: liberty.
Ladies and gentlemen, the 5th amendment is under attack and it's time we all started paying attention and demanding protection of the rights our forefathers fought for.
In the meantime, here are some of the most memorable quotes from Paul's powerful speech:
- It's not enough to say 'I don't intend to break the Constitution.' You either believe in the Constitution or you don't.
- Even under George W. Bush, no one maintained that you could kill Americans at home.
- If you have no bounds, you have an unlimited, imperial presidency.
- Does the President have the power to decide when the Bill of Rights applies?
- When your government won't tell you they don't have the power to do something, they're telling you they do have that power.
- As we allow more and more power to gravitate to the President, we run the risk of living under an imperial presidency.
- I thought we were fighting to preserve and protect our Constitution.
- The American people deserve a clear statement from the President concerning limits of executive power.
- This conversation is about whether or not, in America, some rights are so special that we cannot give up.
- Don't cavalierly give up your rights out of fear!
- It's harder to defeat an enemy if the entire world is a battlefield.
- Brennan's answer to me shouldn't have been "no," it should have been, "NEVER. Never will it come to that in America."
- The President has shown no regard for the individual rights of Americans.
- Do we not get the opportunity to explain ourselves in a court of law before we get a hellfire missile dropped on our heads?
- I dont care if it is a Democratic or Republican President, this is about authority.
- It worries me that they refuse to answer my questions, because by refusing to answer, I believe that they believe they have unlimited power.
- It's not partisan against partisan; it's bipartisan working for the power of the checks & balances to try to ensure a leveling.
- No President has the right to say that he is judge, jury, and executioner.
- What are we fighting for if we're not going to protect our rights at home?
- I think we should be cavalier... I don't think we should be casual about our disregard for the Constitution.
- I will not sit quietly and let President Obama shred the Constitution.
A petition has been unveiled to push the administation to address Senator Paul's concerns. You can view it and sign it here.
More like this...Congress Less Popular Then Root Canals, Lice
They did manage to beat out the ebola virus and gonorrhea...
Is this the First Drone-Free State?
Virginia is the first state to ban the use of drones by state or local authorities as the government vendetta against our rights continues...
Ron Paul's Farewell: "Pursue the Cause of LIBERTY!"
Dr. Paul addresses Congress one last time...
Rand Paul on Fiscal Cliff: Families Will "Drown" in Taxes This Year
"Nobody spends someone else's money as wisely as you spend your own." - Milton Friedman. This is the primary problem with the fiscal cliff deal...