ABB (NYSE:ABB) Connects Renewable Energy Island

Posted by Jeff Siegel - Wednesday, July 6th, 2011

In the Canary Islands, about 1,500 miles off the coast of Spain sits the tiny island of El Hierro.

While the island is known for it's thousand-year old twisted Junipers and mysterious volcanic sea tunnels, it will also soon be known for becoming the world's first island to be completely powered by renewable energy.

80 percent of the island's power will come from an 11.5 megawatt wind farm and an 11.3 megawatt hydroelectric plant. The remaining 20 percent will come from solar.

ABB (NYSE:ABB) was called upon to provide the power and automation solutions that electrify and control the hydroelectric plants and integrate the wind power to the island's grid. That deal was announced in February, and is valued at about $2.4 million.

Everything is expected to be in place by the end of the year.

Here's an interesting video about El Hierro's plan to go 100 percent renewable. It was actually made a couple of years ago, right after the island landed a grant from the government to create this new infrastructure. . .

  +1

More like this...

Cleantech's Quiet Vindication
It was no secret Osama was in Pakistan. It was no secret Apple and Google were tracking users. It's no secret that oil companies will invest billion in clean energy companies.

U.S. Solar Growing Despite Shaky Economy
Even during times of economic uncertainty, the U.S. solar market continues to grow rapidly, outpacing the overall economy.

Ethanol Subsidies
Contributing Editor Jeff Siegel gives you the latest on the great ethanol scam of 2011.


Silver Pandas